With nearly 1 in 8 women in the US getting breast cancer, it is no wonder that it is the second most common form of cancer
Find out what prevention measures you can take in the fight against breast cancer.
It’s a scary thought: one in eight.
Mammograms are one of the more dreaded doctor’s visits, yet they are the most proactive measure a woman can take in detecting and preventing breast cancer.
When you go in for a mammogram, it’s important to have certain information before so you are prepared as you can be because the information received after can seem daunting. But the good news is that The American College of Radiology (ACR) has created a pretty uniform system to help describe mammogram findings for their patients called the BI-RADS.
As we head quickly into the autumn months, it’s important to know that October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. And there are a few things you should know about mammograms this year.
#1 Implants and Cancer
- Even though breast implants may hide some breast tissue, having them is no excuse not to go get yourself checked out.
- Your technician and/or radiologist should be experienced in performing mammograms on breast augmentation patients.
- There are even new special techniques like implant displacement views that are being used to help detect abnormal tissue around the implant.
- In addition, the FDA recommends that women with silicone breast implants have breast MRIs performed within the first three years after augmentation surgery, and every other year thereafter.
#2 Why a mammogram? Why now?
- Self-checks are important, but lumps cannot always be felt.
- On average, mammograms take 20-30 minutes.
- Set an example. Be a role model.
- Did we mention it’s the second-leading cause of death among women?
- It’s safe, and it can save your life.
#3 On the day of, do not wear any of these:
Being well-informed and prepared for your mammogram will make you feel more at ease with the situation. For far too many women, breast cancer has already become a reality. An annual mammogram is the absolute best means you have of successful prevention.
If you are looking or are just considering a breast surgery, know what your options are.